Hunter 13 months old

Hunter 13 months old

Monday, March 8, 2010

Finding out that Hunter wasnt just left handed

Hunter was the best baby, i was so lucky, he slept through the night at 4 weeks.. i do have to give credit to my husband Luke, i wouldn't have gotten through those first few weeks with out him, he did everything!!

We first notice that some thing was up when Hunter was about 3 months old, he would by lying on the ground under one of those play things that hang over them, & he started to reach up with his left hand only, i noticed it straight away, & it didn't feel right at all, he continued to only reach with his left & his right fist was always clenched, I did what i think allot of Mums out there did & jumped on google.... an hour later & Luke has had to come home from work as i was hysterical, the Cerebral palsy websites symptoms were exactly what Hunter had, i knew & no matter how much he or family members reassured me i couldn't stop thinking about it. to make matter worse Luke and i were getting married in 4 weeks time.

Hunter looked perfect he would lay on the ground an kick his legs so much that we thought he would take off, he was also rolling to his left only, but i still thought this was great, he just didn't look like he had CP...but i couldn't get it out of my head, at Hunters 4 mth check up i mentioned it to the DR she used keys to put them over Hunters right side & he reached out across his body with his left hand to get it. She checked him out for a minute or two, then when she came back i could see it on her face, she gave me a referral & said it could be his shoulder or it could be neurological. I was so upset, my worst fears were being confirmed.
This was the day of Luke's bucks night & i was staying at my Mum & Dads that night with Hunter, when i got to their house i told Mum & she cried, i think i wanted her to tell me it wasn't true, but she knew too, she told me a while later to take Hunter for a walk, she lives on the lake so it was nice. I will always remember that walk that day, i cried & cried & cried, watching all the other kids riding bikes & playing in the park, i kept thinking ,will my son ever do these things, i was angry & didn't know what to do, i kept walking and finally sat for a while, Why me,why Luke what did we do? it wasn't fair but most of all it wasn't fair for Hunter.After feeling sorry for a while, something came over me & it hasn't left me to this day, strength... i was his Mum & he needed me, i said to my self this is who he is & this will make his the person he will be one day, its my job to make sure he has every opportunity possible, i didn't know what the future held but i knew i would make sure he would be happy & loved.

I called the pediatrician to get an appointment & couldn't get one for over a month, so i rang every pediatrician in Sydney till i got an appointment the following week, 3 weeks before our wedding day. Life was very stressful at this point! The Paediatrician didn't diagnose Hunter with CP, he completely missed it, said that it was his shoulder due to my birth. I remember Luke turning to me saying, see babe its all good, We both wanted to believe that, but knew he was wrong, i look back & think, wow maybe we needed the misdiagnosis just to get us through our wedding & have our day together. Our day was fantastic the best day ever.

When we got back from our honey moon,(which was only 3 days & Hunter came too) i was onto another DR, we ended up seeing the same DR that saw him in hospital, he was very thorough, afterwards he finally confirmed what we thought, he even said i am confirming your worst fears i know, i was actually OK, he kept asking me & repeating the diagnosis, but i just said where is the nearest Physio.
He started physio a week later & all i focused on was him & what i needed to do to get him to his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment