Hunter 13 months old

Hunter 13 months old

Monday, March 8, 2010

Hunter's Birth

This is my first post on my first blog, as i say in my profile, looking at other Mums blogs who have kids with the similar diagnosis as Hunter really helped me get through some tough times. So for all the other Mums that might need some advice or just to compare, this is for you too.. as well as me as i tend to forget.

My pregnancy was fine, actually it was great, not even morning sickness, we booked into the local hospital through the midwifes clinic, as there was no need to think i would have any trouble, with my age & health.
My waters broke at about midnight on Friday evening, my labour stopped & started for the next 2 days, but every time i rang or went to hospital they sent me home, so by Sunday midnight and the pain very bad i went back to hospital and said i wasn't going anywhere!.
I laboured for another 16 hours till they said that Hunter is Posterior position (& that's why it hurt so much) but that they had decided that i could push him out. 4 hour of pushing, vacuum, forceps & a DR change I'm on my way to have a Cesarean. Hunter finally came into the world at 8pm Monday the 22nd of December 2008.
I spent the next week in Hospital as my milk wouldn't come through & Hunter wasn't eating, so they put him on formula & told me that i would never breast feed.. i said, wanna bet! Hunter had a slight heart murmur when the Pediatrician came through to give him a check up, i was so worried about it but he assured me that it was very normal after a long labour. The only other thing that sticks in my head was a midwife that came in one day & said to me, Oh you will have to get that fixed as she looked at Hunter, i asked what she was talking about & she made a strange face & said, the droop on one side of his face, i hadn't really noticed it, but i could definitely see what she was talking about, i asked what it was & she said it was because of my long labour & gave me a card for an osteopath... I had never heard of one before, i told my Mum when she came in & she said the midwife was an idiot.. i had to agree, didn't think much more about it.

When i look back at the time in hospital & the next few weeks, i honestly felt numb, like every thing was happening around me & i had no control. Now i know that after the labour i had i was actually in shock, My husband and i had wanted a natural birth, i even dragged him to the calm birth classes, i never in my wildest dreams imagined that my birth would be like it was.

My milk did come through & Hunter was breast fed till he was 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment